Junior Backend Developer
After another year of exceptionally strong growth, we’re on a mission to take our product to the next level. Like any software company with big plans for acquiring market share, we’re super excited to keep building and evolving our product in a way that both our customers and our market loves.
Overview of the job
We’re looking for a Junior Backend Developer to join our small but growing fast-paced development team. Alongside the rest of the development team, Development Manager and Product Manager you will plan, develop and maintain our PHP applications, services and APIs. You will join a team that is responsible for the full development lifecycle of the product: from design through development, to unit and integration testing, as well as iterative improvement, with plans to include deployment and monitoring as part of this in the future. You will be working with exciting technologies to build the next generation of AppsAnywhere, a product that has a real positive impact for its users.
Who are AppsAnywhere?
👋 Hey there, we’re AppsAnywhere! We’re an EdTech company making big waves in our industry, with an even bigger appetite to win more customers and grow more quickly across our key markets.
We’re on a mission to give students the best experience possible from their time at university, by providing our award-winning technology exclusively to Higher Ed. Currently used and loved by over 2 million students across the globe, to-date 15 apps are launched through our very own software product – AppsAnywhere: an app store for education – every single second, worldwide!
With rapidly growing customer communities across the US, Canada, and Europe, alongside an already market-busting share in the UK, we’re taking Higher Ed by storm. And we’re totally transforming how students get access to their academic software.
We’re super proud of our business, and we want to find an exceptional candidate who understands why.
- Write back-end code and build efficient PHP applications and libraries.
- Participate in daily stand-ups and other agile rituals (e.g., retrospectives, reviews).
- Continually aim to improve the quality and efficiency of your code.
- Contribute to internal and product documentation.
- Collaborate with departments and individuals outside of the development team when required.
Skills and knowledge
- Independent, self-motivated and collaborative.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Passionate about programming and problem solving.
- A degree in software engineering/computer science or equivalent experience.
- A familiarity with object-oriented programming principles and design patterns.
- Experience with at least one PHP framework such as Laravel, Symfony, Mezzio, Laminas, etc.
- Understanding of the principles behind unit testing and writing testable code.
- Proficient with using code version control tools (we use Git).
- Knowledge of SQL and relational databases.
Junior Backend Developer
Unlimited holidays, flexible working, excellent working environment!
This role will be based at our office (which is a converted pub!) just outside Leeds, in the small village of Sherburn in Elmet. Post COVID, we’re pretty flexible on how many days you work in the office or at home. We care more about what you can do than where you’re based. But it’s equally important that you’re an integrated part of our team.
Still with us? Want to apply?
Great, we’d love to hear from you! 😀 It’s going to be hard work, but you’ll have a super-supportive team behind you who’ll help you be successful and give you everything you need to do just that.
To apply, send us a copy of your CV with a quick description of why you’re interested in this particular role. Please confirm your salary expectations on the email, too.
We expect to hold the first interviews remotely (via Teams) where we can see if we’re a good fit for each other and ask/answer a few questions to get us started.
No agencies, please.
Don't apply if:
- You’ve not read fully this job description and you’re just applying to ‘Backend Developer’ roles on spec, or you’re not fully excited about who we are and what we do.
- You like the quiet life and just want to take a paycheck each month. We want someone who is fully invested in us and our future and sees a great opportunity for their career here at AppsAnywhere.
- You think all this sounds like a tall order and you’re not ready for the challenge.
- You’re not comfortable with rolling up your sleeves to get stuff done.